November 19, 2009
hello lovelies! this week etsy released their goals and expectations for december! just in case you haven’t taken a look already- i’m going to sum them up for you. there’s a lot of great information that will help you and your shop succeed this holiday season!
i thought these points were so helpful- that i giving them all to you! coming straight from etsy- these are what they specifically want you to keep in mind as you prep for the holiday hustle and bustle:
- Seasonal Holiday Gift-Giving: Find our full list of seasonal gift-giving thematic topics in the newly released Holiday Gift Guides. Reevaluate your line and describe why your items make great gift ideas; take the time to photograph your items in a way that shows the potential uses it could have.
- Seasonal Home Decor: Winter and holiday home decor accents, displays, accessories, centerpieces, ornaments, and all the home accoutrement that make us think of a cozy dwelling. Think candles, baskets, wreaths, garlands, furniture, tabletop, quilts, blankets, pillows, storage solutions, rugs, windows, lighting, bedding, and bath. Rich materials and fabrics remain at the forefront of styling options.
- Entertaining: Celebrations including dinner with the family, holiday parties, and those notorious over-the-top New Year’s galas abound. We’ll be looking for creative and unique seasonal tabletop solutions, dinnerware, glassware and bar, table linens, food for your feast, centerpieces, place settings, place cards, invitations, menus, favors, and hostess gifts.
- Winter and Holiday Fashion: Vamped up holiday, formal, and party fashions along with warm layers, winter coats, winter accessories, boots, bags, and jewelry all sparkle this season.
- New Year’s Eve: Ring in the new year in style. We’ll be highlighting party options, celebration accessories and party fashion. Keep in mind with New Year’s Eve, resolution time is right around the corner. January sneek peek: Health and wellness, relaxation, detox, reorganization, and all that emphasizes a fresh new start.
- Calendars and Paper Goods: Thank you card sets, stationery sets, 2010 calendars, and gift wrapping elements.
- Shopping Local: With online shopping, comes shipping deadlines. As we near these deadlines, we’ll be looking to promote the Shop Local Etsy shopping feature along with other location-based highlights. Make sure your location is up to date in order take advantage of last-minute shoppers in your area.
- Boxing Day: Boxing Day is a recognized day of rest in many countries, originating as a day of extending goodwill to those less fortunate. Over time, it has traditionally become known as a shopping holiday for sales and promotions. For many retail merchants, this marketing strategy has become their highest revenue driving day of the year. We’ll be hosting a special Boxing Day extended promotion for sellers interested in participating. Stay tuned for details as we get closer to December including how to participate as a seller.
- Winter Weddings: Attire, decor, invitations, favors, and gift ideas.
- The International Vacation: Global adventures, features on warmer weather destinations, highlights of spring/summer fashion in the Southern Hemisphere.
- December trends: The all-encompassing forest imagery including holly, branches, berries, pine cones, acorns, and related animals (deer, squirrels, chipmunks). Boots, pumps, Oxfords, and ballet flats. Winter accessories. Statement jewelry, metallics and sequined clothing and accessories. Gem tones, deep berry, plum, forest green, and classic combinations of red, white, black, green and royal blues. Vintage decor, eco-friendly options, and tribal motifs continue to top the trends this season.
- Turquoise is December’s birthstone, and December’s astrological signs are Sagittarius and Capricorn (November 23 – December 21: Sagittarius and December 22 – January 20: Capricorn).
- Promotional Opportunities for Sellers:
- In preparation for our Turquoise Gift Guide, we will be looking for community suggestions and nominations for what items you’d like to see in the guide. Suggest your favorite turquoise-related items in this nomination thread.
- Suggest and nominate items for Etsy’s Holiday Gift Guides in this Forum thread.
- Stay tuned to the Selling section of The Storque for additional promotional opportunities through December.
so, what should you do with all this info? translate into something meaningful for your shop. that means update your listings, photos, shop announcement, descriptions, tags and titles. this way, etsy will be able to find and promote you- and your consumers will be able to find and purchase from you. also, try to keep in mind the holdiay rush- because who doesn’t wait till the last minute? by building up your stock- you’ll be able to ship more quickly and appeal to all those last minute shoppers.
one last thing to remember is that etsy often curates their homepage themes by holidays and special events. so- here’s a list of dates to keep in mind during december. if you can fit any of your products into one of them- tag them as such- and you may just find yourself on the front page!
- November is known as Real Jewelry Month, Peanut Butter Lovers Month, and Aviation History Month.
- December 1: World AIDS Awareness Day
- December 6: Spain’s Constitution Day
- December 6: Saint Nicholas Day
- December 9: Christmas Card Day and National Pastry Day
- December 10: Final safe date for international shipping deadlines (save for express and overnight)
- December 10: Nobel prizes presented
- December 11: Hanukkah begins at sundown
- December 12: Poinsettia Day
- December 12: Feast of Our Lady Guadalupe in Mexico
- December 17: Hari Raja Puasa
- December 17: South Africa’s Day of Reconciliation
- December 18: Final safe date for online shipping deadlines (save for express and overnight)
- December 18: Muharram
- December 21: Winter Solstice — shortest day of the year
- December 25: Christmas Day
- December 25: England’s Constitution Day
- December 26: Boxing Day — also known as the Day of Goodwill
- December 26: Saint Stephen’s Day
- December 26: Kwanzaa begins
- December 31: New Year’s Eve