November 17, 2011
welp, it’s that time of year again. sniffles, sneezes and sick ones are around every corner, oh no! to stay on top of your health and fight the seasonal sniffles, i’ve decided to revamp last years sniffles post and share the best ways to stay healthy with you again. here are a few of my favorite winter wellness essentials!
1. pound the green tea. that’s right, get to steeping! with it’s immune-enhancing boosters, green tea is known to help fight colds and reduce flu symptoms.
2. neti. Do you use a neti pot? it’s a simple way to irrigate the nasal passages with unbeatable results. it’s safe, easy and soothes the lining of your nose as it removes the excess mucus that lingers in the sinuses as fertile grounds for infections and bacteria.
3. up your vitamin c. consider increasing your vitamin c intake. taking an emergen-c is always a quick and easy way to do this.
4. hydrate. simply staying hydrated by drinking lots of water will help you feel better and wash your cold away.
5. stay warm and rest. pay attention to your body and rest if you feel tired. a simple ceramic heater can help keep you warm and toasty no matter where you go!
6. eat lots of garlic. garlic has antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties that can help ward off minor infections.
7. eat honey. honey is great for soothing a sore throat. try adding some to your tea, or melting 2 teaspoons in a mug of hot water to sip on.
8. avoid phlegmy foods. that is sugar, white flour, wine, dairy and red meat- as these enhance the build up of mucus.
9. gargle. gargle with warm salt water to help soothe and heal sore throats.
10. eat some soup. eat warming, nourishing foods such as good hearty veggie soup.