hello, sweets! this week arrived one of my all time favorite mags, vegnews (the only vegan mag out there) and with it, possible my new favorite recipe: layered spinach spanakopita! i made it last night and it turned out amazingly scrumptious. here’s the recipe!
vegan spinach spanakopita:
2 tbs water
1 cup chopped scallions
8 cups fresh spinach
1 1/2 cup drained herbed tofu feta (see below)
1/3 cup fresh dill
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 tbs fresh parsely
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
12 sheet phyllo pastry
1. add water to a large pot over medium heat, then add scallions and spinach. cook until spinach is wilted (you might have to add spinach in batches as they begin to wilt). once wilted, set aside and let drain, squeezing out as much moisture as possible.
2. in a large bowl, combine spinach, herbed feta, dill, nutritional yeast, parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
3. preheat oven to 350°f. lay 1 sheet of phyllo pastry in the bottom of a lightly greased 9×13″ pan. brush a light layer of olive oil on the sheet, than add another. continue layering in this way (brushing between each sheet) until you have 6 sheets down.
4. spread the spinach mixture evenly in the pan and continue the layering process with 6 more phyllo sheets.
5. sprinkle the top with water to keep the sheets from curling and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top become lightly browned. enjoy!
above is the recipe for the herbed tofu feta. it’s amazing! make it ahead of time and use it on salads and anytime feta would be called for. yum!