December 4, 2013
these little crunchy-cheesy-creamy-vegan spinach bites are so delicious! i serve them as appetizers and they tend not to last very long. they’re quick to throw together and so creamy no one will believe they’re vegan. just be careful, they’re addicting!
vegan spinach bites – adapted from cindy rader’s spinach bites.
- 1 package filo dough shells
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbs coconut oil (or other oil)
- 3 cups fresh greens (like baby spinach, arugula or kale)
- 1/2 c. tofutti better than cream cheese
- 4 slices of tofutti better than mozzarella cheese, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
1) preheat oven to 375°F. place fil0 shells on an cookie sheet (tip: line with parchment paper for easy clean up!).
2) add the oil and onion to a frying pan and place over medium heat. saute until the onions are slighltly browned, about 5-7 minutes. add the greens and cook until wilted. add salt and pepper to taste.
3) in a small mixing bowl, stir together the onion and greens mixture, cream cheese and mozzarella until well combined. scoop the mixture out and fill each filo cup.
4) bake for 15-18 minutes, until slightly browned on top. serve and enjoy!