hi friends! as a follow up to our first list of essential (0-6 months), today i’m sharing our new essential list for ages 6 -12 months-ish!
as i’ve said before, i remember early in my pregnancy when it was time to start thinking about a registry and i froze. i had no idea what i needed! all i knew was that i wanted to go about raising my baby as simply as possible. i wanted to stick to well made products that would last in our family for generations to come. and if i could help it, i wanted to avoid plastic as much as possible.
the first thing i did was e-mail a handful of my favorite momma friends to ask them what their advice was. i had them list the top 10 must-haves and then let me know about anything they really felt was unnecessary. from those lists, i compiled everyone’s must haves and made a list for myself. then i began researching. i looked in to each product, where they were made, if there was a greener or more organic option and whether or not i thought we really needed it or not. safety was of course taken into consideration as well (for example, safety won over being green when it came to a carseat). whenever possible, we also tried to use hand-me-downs or purchase used goods.
even though we were incredibly thoughtful about what we asked for, we still ended up with too much, a few things we don’t use often and lots of lessons learned!
of course, every person, every baby and every situation is different, but when i was researching, i found everyone’s ‘must have lists’ super helpful. so here’s mine! bear is currently 14 months old, so this list is probably good for 6-15 months-ish.
- charlie’s soap. we love this for all baby clothes and cloth diapers.
- ergobaby carrier with infant insert. i like to use this for longer, more strenuous wears (like on hikes and to bike races).
- carseat (of course). we got the britax marathon 70-G3. we like it b/c it’s an ‘all in one’ and we won’t have to buy another one later, BUT the downside is that you can’t pop it out and carry him around in itt, though it’s not been an issue for us.
- organic baby soap. we love sweet baby shampoo
- inglesina table chair (instead of a high chair)- oh man do we love this! attach it to any table and take it to restaurants. bear loves his and happily plays in it while we eat and cook.
– baby gates. after trying several, we decided we liked the easy and simplicity of this one.
- baby monitor. this wasn’t necessary until he started napping in his own room, but now i like to be able to see him!
– blender & food processor. for making smoothies and food more baby bite-sized!
– books. all of the books!
optionals (that we LOVE):
- zutano booties – the only socks/shoes that will stay on. seriously.
- snuza hero. clip it on their diaper (or pants) while they sleep and it vibrates if they stop breathing, then alarms. we finally just stopped using this when he turned one, but i loved it for the first year!
– snugly blanket – we’re attached to this one from from saranoni.
– sippy caps – we use and like these from lifefactory.
- stroller. becoming more and more helpful the heavier he gets!
– music. we love listening to music and making noise with music makers!
- crib. we still don’t use the crib much yet, though i’m sure we will use it more and more. (we co-sleep. gasp!)
- little remedies tylenol – just in case of an emergency. this brand doesn’t contain parabens, high fructose corn syrup, dye or gluten.
- baby in-sight mirror – so you can see your babe while you drive.
- organic waterproof pads – for under the bed sheets or crib sheets.
- travel crib – for traveling, this is a must! we love our baby bjorn travel crib light.
– safety precautions - like this, this and this.
nonessential: (in our opinion!)
- baby tub. i just put him in the bath with me. :)
– baby spoons and dishes. we just use things we already have, it works great!
- wipes warmer – if it’s really cold i just run the wipes through a little warm water.
- hooded towels or baby bath cloths – we just use regular towels.
- any kind of play mobile thingy (we make-do just fine with things from around the house).
- baby swing. we haven’t had one and haven’t missed it (though i know every baby is different!).
- noise machine – we haven’t used one and haven’t missed it.
- bouncer or walker
- nursing bras/tanks – i just wear tops that i can either pull up or down.
now it’s you’re turn! what do you find absolutely necessary? nonessential? i’ll meet you in the comments section!