February 22, 2013
since we’ve been traveling this week (and i haven’t been in the kitchen), i thought i might share with you a few tips on how we make traveling vegan easy. at first it takes a little thought and planning ahead, but it soon becomes like second nature (i promise!).
1) plan ahead. take some time before your trip to pack some snacks that are both easy to grab and really healthy. if you’re flying, you can take any of your own food on the plane, as long as it’s not liquid. you can either purchase these snacks or make them yourself, but here are some of my favorites: granola, ginger snaps, blueberries, trail mix, whole fruit and dried fruit (mango is my favorite!).
2) ask. the number one thing you can do while traveling or visiting a new restaurant is just ask what they have or what what they can make vegan. just this week i discovered two restaurants that actually had separate vegan menus, just by asking! even if there’s nothing vegan on an entire menu, they can usually always make something for you pretty easily. pasta dishes, vegetable plates, hearty salads, and baked potatoes loaded with veggies are almost always an option!
3) do your research. sometimes during travel you just have to eat on the go (especially on layovers) at places you wouldn’t ordinarily eat. just by doing a little research, you can find several restaurants that offer vegan eats (even though they may not know it!). auntie anne’s salted pretzels are vegan if you just ask for one without the butter. starbucks has really good hot oatmeal and bagels that fit the bill. brixx pizza and mellow mushroom both have great options (and veg cheese) and jamba juice is possibly one of the easiest/healthiest places to stop.
4) eat at a health food store. this is a ‘bonnie and dave’ classic. lots of times we’ll just swing by whole foods (or another local health food store) and eat at their hot bar. it’s always totally amazing! plus, while we’re there we can stock up on goodies for the next day.
5) travel with a plan. this is especially fun when you’re road tripping. by doing a little research on restaurants, you can literately plan your stops around which cities have the best veg fare! (call us nerds, but this is one of our favorite things to do.) we love to use the happy cow app and the google maps app to find the best veg restaurants from city to city.
do you have any tips on traveling veg? share with us in the comments section!