June 19, 2014
to me, there’s nothing more exciting than discovering a new vegetable. when these beautiful green curls showed up in our CSA box this week, i had to get a little help from you on what they were and how to use them! how have i overlooked this precious veggie all my years?
i’ll be using scapes all week, but my first goal was to make a delicious pesto. and delicious it was! full of fresh summery flavors, it’s bold and bright yet light and refreshing. last night, we used it atop our tofu omelets (yum!), and tonight i’ll be using it on a pasta dish. the nutritional yeast gives it a wholesome, cheesy taste and the toasted cashews give it a great texture and nutty flavor.
- - 2 garlic scapes
- - 1 cup fresh basil
- - 1 tbs lemon juice
- - 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- - 1/4 cup cashews, toasted
- - 1/2 tsp salt
- - 1 tbs olive oil
- toast the cashews until slightly browned and coarsely chop the garlic scapes.
- place the scapes, basil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, toasted cashews and salt into a food processor and blend.
- while the mixture is blending, slowly pour the olive oil in. pulse to combine to a course texture.
- try this pesto as a pasta sauce or use it as a topping on toast, soup, (tofu) omelets and more!